My husband has threatened to stop paying the mortgage, what can I do?

If the mortgage is in joint names, you have both signed a contract with the lender that makes you jointly and severally liable. This means that if your husband stops paying all or some of the mortgage, the lender can ask you to make the monthly payment or make up the difference.

If payments stop altogether or contributions reduce leading to financial difficulties, you should contact your lender straight away. You may be able to agree reduced payments until things can be sorted out.

You may be entitled to some maintenance from your husband. This is a monthly payment which the Court can order your husband to pay to you to help you out with family finances. 

Whether or not you will be entitled to maintenance depends upon your financial circumstances and those of your husband. These are complicated issues and it is important that you obtain legal advice.

« Back to FAQs

Contact Us

Contact us today to see how we can help you...

Call: 0113 201 4904

Get in touch »


Overseas Divorce - some guidelines

People living abroad can find it difficult to access legal advice about divorce and separation and where they should start…

Read more »

I’m unhappy with the financial order made in my divorce – what can I do?

If your financial case is decided by a Judge and you are unhappy with the decision, because the discretion of the Judge is so…

Read more »